Spintelligent is part of Clarion Events, a global business-to-business event organiser with over 500 staff in offices in the UK, Netherlands, United States, South Africa, Brazil, UAE and Singapore. Spintelligent forms part of Clarion’s specialist energy and utilities portfolio which also includes Synergy and The Energy Exchange. Spintelligent has established itself as the key strategic information provider to the global metering, meter-to-cash and customer-end technology sector and as a specialist in African infrastructure development, with a focus on the power and mining sectors.
For more than 13 years, Spintelligent has been building, sharing, connecting and thinking about the business sectors we serve. Our industry leading media products – publications, online portals, conferences, exhibitions, industry reports – enable us to share knowledge and insights, build relationships and deliver real business value to our customers and stakeholders.
Spintelligent is recognised for its print and electronic publications, with market-leading brands including Metering International, ESI Africa and Mining Review Africa. Its regular global events and exhibitions, as well as its critical business intelligence and integrated marketing services make it a leader in its field. The company’s highly skilled resources in management, marketing, research and production allow for unique products bridging the developed and developing worlds.
“These are things you don’t learn at university”
“I just know that the next year is going to be an important one for me and I will do my best to reward Spintelligent’s faith in me and my abilities”, says Dean Ravell from Coniston Park in Cape Town, one of ten lucky graduates who recently started a unique, yearlong internship programme at Spintelligent, a leading conference and exhibition organiser based in the Mother City.
Spintelligent Managing Director Philip vander Gucht says the interns were selected from 800 applications from graduates from universities around Cape Town. He explains: “the internship is unique because they are given intensive training and on a rotating basis, work in the four main departments in the company, namely Production, Sales, Marketing and our new Customer Services department. They will become integral members of the teams and engage with customers at every opportunity. After a whole year they will have gone through all four departments and may then be offered permanent positions, should they be successful.”
He continues: “these are the future leaders within Spintelligent. Some of the interns have been through a lot of hardship to get an education and deserve a chance like this. But also for us as a company, a sudden injection of ten young, eager, energetic and bright graduates into an already dynamic and busy company is just going to make for an even more challenging and fun environment for everyone to work in and learn from each other. We are looking forward to their contribution to the growth of our company and this industry.”
Spintelligent is part of the global conference giant, Clarion Events, and the organiser of record- and groundbreaking industry forums such as African Utility Week, Clean Power Africa, African Education Week and the East and West African Power Industry Conventions. Based in Cape Town but active around the continent, the company also produces the leading trade publications and portals: Metering International, ESI Africa and Mining Review Africa.
“My hard earned degree will not go to waste”
While taking a quick break from the intensive training during their first week on the new job; the graduates give their impressions so far:
- “It’s very exciting to be part of this programme. I spent about a year unemployed and it’s comforting to know that my hard earned degree will not go to waste. It’s also really exciting to see so many humanities studies in the group of graduates.” Nomvuyo Tena, Port Elizabeth
- “To me personally the graduate programme allows an in-depth look at Spintelligent’s systems and vital training that the Managing Director himself provides. Spintelligent’s staff is like a family to each other.” Carissa Isaacs, Parow
- “The graduate programme at Spintelligent has given me a chance, as a young inexperienced graduate to learn and accumulate knowledge about exhibitions and events. The company has different departments that suit each person’s character, so I never get bored at work.” Linda Madyira, Umtata
- “My experience has been an incredibly exciting one thus far. I have gained a tremendous amount of invaluable industry knowledge and practical skills that will equip me to the best job I can in order to assist in making every project successful. The company culture is electric!” Amy Ryan, Constantia
- “Spintelligent has offered a wonderful and life changing opportunity to myself and the other graduates.” Sydné van Loggerenberg, Claremont
- “I can tell that they work and live by the motto ‘love what you do and do what you love and you never have to work a day in your life’.” Suleila Green, Grassy Park
- “I couldn’t believe I was chosen out of 800 other applicants. I’ve learnt an incredible amount of things like sales advice and reading people, what events planning is all about. These are things you don’t learn at university.” Dane Adriaanse, Athlone