Kaizer Motaung lashes out at Igesund over player-availability comments

kaizer motaung1 e1372424599831 Kaizer Motaung lashes out at Igesund over player availability comments

Kaizer Chiefs boss Kaizer Motaung has slammed Bafana Bafana coach Gordon Igesund for making “ill-advised comments” about the outcome of a meeting between the Premier Soccer League (PSL) and the SA Football Association (Safa).

Motaung said on the club’s website today that he took strong exception to what Igesund said and would be writing to Safa to register his disappointment.

On Thursday, Igesund said Motaung had given an undertaking at last month’s Joint Liaison Committee (JLC) meeting that Chiefs players would be available for the Cosafa tournament in Zambia.

This was after Chiefs football manager Bobby Motaung said his team’s players would not be allowed to join Bafana.

Read: Igesund on collision course with Chiefs management

“It is regrettable that someone in a position of great national importance like coach Gordon Igesund would see it fit to make such ill-advised comments about the (JLC) meeting of the PSL and Safa at Safa House on May 9 2013 – that I made a commitment to release Chiefs players for the Cosafa tournament. This is incorrect, as I would never use such a forum to make comments that are Kaizer Chiefs specifics,” said Motaung on the website.

“The JLC is a forum where matters of generic nature are discussed in relation to the PSL, Safa and football in general. I am very conscious of this and, as a matter of policy, I refrain from making any club-specific comments in that forum. It is therefore disappointing that Mr Igesund would make a statement that is of this nature.”

Motaung further said he was aware that Igesund had met with Bobby and coach Stuart Baxter to discuss the release of players prior to the team’s World Cup engagements in Cameroon and Ethiopia.

“At that meeting it was agreed that certain players had been continually deployed and were clearly overextended.

“It was advised that they be excluded from the Cosafa squad and it was suggested that Under-23 players be considered to participate in the tournament. This is what was reported to me after the meeting. We are clearly surprised that Mr Igesund chose Chiefs players after this discussion. His comments are unfortunate and I take strong exception to his utterances. I will be writing to Safa to register my disappointment and trust the matter will be resolved.”

The post Kaizer Motaung lashes out at Igesund over player-availability comments appeared first on City Press.

Powered by WPeMatico

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.