Alcatel-Lucent and Surfline Communications Ltd today announced the first commercial deployment of a 4G LTE network in Ghana and, more general, in Western and Central Africa.
Alcatel-Lucent will provide hardware and software, along with installation, optimization, maintenance and managed services, helping Surfline rollout out next-generation mobile communications in response to rapidly increasing data demand driven by the proliferation of lower cost smart phones.
The new IP architecture-based network will give Surfline the ability to quickly and economically expand mobile broadband capacity as customer demand grows. The 4G LTE network will provide Surfline customers access to social networking sites, Internet browsing, e-mail, online gaming, streamed videos and video calling with dramatically increased performance.
Surfline believes the Ghanaian market has matured beyond the products and services currently available in the market. This is especially true in the data sector. As a data-centric communications provider Surfline will address national requirements for broadband connectivity that will greatly contribute to Ghana’s social and economic growth.
• Initial coverage by the network to include the capital, Accra, followed by all major cities and a nationwide rollout.
• Affordable country-wide broadband connectivity will act as a catalyst for the development of a digital-based economy by increasing information and communications technology (ICT) literacy.
• In Ghana, and elsewhere in Africa, 4G LTE is expected to transform the use of technology with regards to mobile consumers, healthcare, transportation, energy, security, agriculture, sales and payments industries and infrastructure.
• Alcatel-Lucent is deploying its industry-leading 4G LTE ultra high-speed mobile broadband product capabilities which include:
• LTE Radio Access Network
• Evolved Packet Core
• Professional services to install, optimize, maintain and manage the LTE network
John Taylor, Executive Chairman of Surfline said: “We chose Alcatel-Lucent to build and operate our LTE network because of the strong trust and relationship we developed – and the experience that Alcatel-Lucent has on LTE as a technology, as well as its strong presence in Africa, including Ghana. Alcatel-Lucent’s ultra-fast broadband solution, market positioning and 4G LTE leadership were essential for our decision.”
Daniel Jaeger, Vice-President of Alcatel-Lucent in Africa said: “The recent announcement of Alcatel-Lucent’s “Shift Plan” underlined the importance of our technological edge in next-generation access technologies. Africa represents a major opportunity for growth in ultra-Broadband, and it is a significant part of our strategy to form strategic partnerships with operators like Surfline, who are committed to making a positive contribution to people’s lives. Surfline, its customers and Alcatel-Lucent will all benefit from the deployment of our market leading 4G LTE solution in Ghana.”
Powered by WPeMatico