Public Protector Thuli Madonsela has received more information for her probe into the upgrading of President Jacob Zuma’s Nkandla home.
“[She] on Friday gained access to outstanding information regarding the investigation. A draft report will be released to the concerned parties for comment as soon as all information is analysed and the investigation completed,” said spokeswoman Kgalalelo Masibi.
Masibi declined to reveal the source of the latest information.
“We cannot reveal who forwarded the information as it would undermine and jeopardise the investigation.”
In January this year, Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi announced government had spent R206 million on security upgrades and consultants at Zuma’s private home in KwaZulu-Natal.
Last month, it was reported that Nxesi told Parliament that State Security Minister Siyabonga Cwele had classified the report, which was drawn up by a presidential task team, in terms of the Minimum Information Security Standards (MISS).
This meant not even Auditor General Terence Nombembe or Madonsela would be able to see the report.
However, Nxesi’s department issued a statement earlier this month denying the minister said Cwele had classified the report, and repeating that “the minister of public works classified the report in terms of the minimum information security standard [MISS]”.
Two weeks ago, Madonsela confirmed she received the classified Nkandla report from Nxesi.
Masibi said she did not know how long the investigation would take.
“I cannot put a deadline on that, it is up to the Public Protector. The draft report has not even been done yet.”
Powered by WPeMatico