Toddlers die after eating toxic substance mistaken for sugar

food eat girl india Toddlers die after eating toxic substance mistaken for sugar

Two toddlers died in Cape Town at the weekend after eating a toxic substance which was mistaken for sugar.

Zanele Jwaqwa (35) prepared porridge for her two-year-old son Lukhanyo and one-year-old relative Samkelo Lwane on Saturday morning, using sachets of what she thought was sugar borrowed from neighbour Nombemu Mkhosi, the Cape Times reported today.

“She put about a spoonful in each bowl and the children ate about half of the porridge,” Jwaqwa’s younger brother Zakhekile was quoted as telling the newspaper.

“Afterwards, Lukhanyo went outside to play. He came back after a few minutes and told his mother he wanted to sleep,” he reportedly said.

According to the Cape Times, the children started shaking and foaming at the mouth. They died a short while later in hospital.

Mkhosi, who works the night shift at a cleaning company, reportedly told the newspaper she took a handful of sachets from work believing they were sugar or salt.

“They were white and on the side they were written ‘mix before use’,” she was quoted as saying.

Police had opened an inquest.

The post Toddlers die after eating toxic substance mistaken for sugar appeared first on City Press.

Powered by WPeMatico

Share
This entry was posted in South Africa News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply