Managing Director at Konecranes Morocco – Thomas Descamps
Konecranes is a world-leading group of Lifting Businesses™ offering lifting equipment and services that improve productivity in a wide variety of industries. The company is listed on NASDAQ OMX Helsinki Ltd (symbol: KCR1V). With over 12,000 employees at more than 600 locations in almost 50 countries we have the resources, technology and determination to deliver on the promise of Lifting Businesses™.
1. What line of business does Konecranes carry in business markets in Africa?
Konecranes is developing its expertise in Port lifting equipment manufacturing and servicing and all industrial lifting equipment manufacturing and servicing, including a wide range of high capacity lift trucks.
2. What level of investment has your company carried out in Africa over the past years? What are your forecasts about the market?
Acquisition of local companies in Morocco and RSA. Possibly in the future industrial crane production.
3. Which countries in Africa do you see as potential for business, given the nature of demand and consumer attitude?
North Africa, RSA, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Mauritania, Cameroon, Ghana, Nigeria, RDC.
4. Are there any opportunity for expanding your grip on the African market, taking into consideration the stiff competition going on?
Yes as still too many industrial turnkey equipments are fully imported while there is a big potential in local manufacturing. As far as service to industry is concerned, all is still to be invented and offered to the customer base while to real professional offering is available in Africa.
5. Despite competitions, what other challenges do you face in Africa?
Heavy administration and corruption.
6. How do you see the future of Africa before Vision 2020?
Market leader in industrial lifting equipment and in maintenance service to industry.
7. What is your advice to young African entrepreneurs?
Be innovative, be patient.