Boxing SA: Mbalula accepts Balfour’s resignation

Ngconde Balfour Boxing SA: Mbalula accepts Balfours resignation

Sport and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula has received and accepted a resignation letter from Boxing SA (BSA) board chairman Ngconde Balfour.

This was confirmed in a statement on Friday night.

“Minister of Sport and Recreation Fikile Mbalula has today, (Friday) August?2, received and accepted a letter of resignation from the Boxing SA chairperson Mr Ngconde Balfour,” read the statement.

Mbalula thanked Balfour “for his sterling job and steering the boxing sport to greater heights”.

But an influential promoter, who spoke on condition of anonymity, believes Balfour’s departure is a “blessing in disguise”. He said: “BSA, under Ngconde Balfour’s leadership, has been the worst it has ever been and an enemy of itself.”

Balfour served two years of his three-year term.

But in the resignation letter he sent to Mbalula, which City Press has seen, Balfour boasted good governance during his reign, saying: “I have been reliably informed that we (BSA) will have an unqualified report this year.

“Integrity and good governance are important to me and I will never compromise those.”

The source said: “His arrogance became his downfall as he left out key stakeholders, making decisions by himself, all of which have failed.”

Balfour refused to divulge reasons behind his resignation, saying: “I’m not going to talk to anyone and I would like us to respect that.”

His departure leaves the BSA with a nonexistent board, which now comprises three members following the resignations last year of Dumile Mateza, Thabani Khumalo and Nontstantsa Lebaka.

Mbalula is expected to appoint a new chairman and fill in the other three vacancies within the next two weeks.

The post Boxing SA: Mbalula accepts Balfour’s resignation appeared first on City Press.

Powered by WPeMatico

This entry was posted in South Africa News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply