Celebrities laid low after food poisoning at trendy brunch
A social brunch aimed at Joburg’s trendy set went belly up when patrons contracted severe food poisoning, putting some in hospital.
Comedian Mpho Modikoane – a contestant on the SABC reality hit Strictly Come Dancing – was one of the unfortunate revellers diagnosed with a “viral infection caused by food poisoning” after the event.
Joburg’s department of environmental health was called in after well-heeled guests who attended the “The Wknd Social” event on July 20 got seriously ill.
Modikoane was discharged from Milpark Hospital on July 26.
He missed an entire round of the reality show two weeks ago because he was ill.
Yesterday he told City Press: “I’m not gonna say anything about what happened at the event because I’m trying to protect the organisers, as one of them is my sister.”
The Wknd Social is a monthly brunch party hosted at different downtown Joburg locations.
The organisers are six girlfriends “who were inspired by New York’s brunching and daytime partying scene”, according to Elle magazine.
Elle featured it as a “hot spot” in June.
“Curated by their resident foodie, the menu, although never the same, consists of traditional brunch-time favourites that have been given an exotic twist,” wrote the magazine.
But on July 23 the club released a statement pointing at the salmon, lamb and vegetarian options as possible culprits.
“We have received reports of ill health from a number of guests, members of our organisation and staff – including, but not limited to, stomach cramps, chronic vomiting, diarrhoea, weakness and muscle pain,” read the statement.
It went on to say that an investigation had been launched into the suppliers of the food and drink.
“The guests who have reported symptoms include people who ate the salmon, lamb and vegetarian options, as well as some of our staff members who did not even eat but are still displaying symptoms.”
A report by the department of environmental health into the matter is still pending.
Meanwhile, there are rumblings on Twitter that suggest that some distraught socialites who scoffed at the dodgy food have threatened to sue the brunch club for medical compensation.
Powered by WPeMatico