AfricaBusiness.com

August 7, 2013

Arms deal commission to go on while Zuma mulls replacing judge

Filed under: South Africa News — Africa Business @ 2:35 am

arms deal commission Arms deal commission to go on while Zuma mulls replacing judge

The inquiry into the arms deal will continue as a two-person commission while President Jacob Zuma considers whether to appoint a third member.

“President Jacob Zuma amended the Presidential Minute appointing the members of the Arms Procurement Commission allowing it to continue as a two-person commission,” presidency spokesman Mac Maharaj said in a statement last night.

The Seriti Commission of Inquiry, chaired by Justice Willie Seriti with Justice Thekiso Musi as a member, would continue its work after the resignation of Judge Francis Legodi last week.

Maharaj said the presidency regretted any inconvenience caused by an earlier statement, in which he said Zuma had decided not to replace Legodi.

On Monday, Seriti said he received a draft of an urgent court application against the commission on Sunday night.

One of the concerns raised was whether the commission could continue with only two commissioners, following Legodi’s resignation last week.

The applicant, the defence department, believed the commission could not proceed with just two commissioners. Seriti said that was a decision Zuma needed to make.

The commission is investigating alleged corruption in the 1999 multi-billion rand arms deal. Public hearings were supposed to start in Pretoria on Monday, but were postponed for two weeks.

The post Arms deal commission to go on while Zuma mulls replacing judge appeared first on City Press.

Powered by WPeMatico

Share

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Powered by WordPress