City of Cape Town authorities have denied “targeting” ANC national executive committee member Tony Yengeni after his arrest for alleged drunk driving.
The city’s safety and security mayoral committee member JP Smith said Yengeni was one of 52 people arrested by his officers at the weekend, the Cape Argus reported today.
“Officers had spotted the Maserati driving erratically,” he told the newspaper, adding that the car had been short of at least one number plate.
“Officers used a screening device, which showed he was substantially over the limit, which was sufficient basis on which to take him to the shadow centre in Athlone,” he was quoted as saying.
Smith said video footage of Yengeni before and after his arrest would be made available to prove officers had a probable cause for pulling him over.
He reportedly said the matter was in the hands of police but that he was confident the metro police could obtain a copy of the blood test “as a backup”.
According to the report, Yengeni was arrested near the corner of Somerset and Dixon Roads in Cape Town around 11pm on Sunday.
He was detained at Cape Town central police station and released on R500 bail on Monday morning.
He is due to appear in court on March 4 next year.
In 2007, Yengeni was arrested in Goodwood, Cape Town, on a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol. He was also granted R500 bail at the time. He was eventually found not guilty.
At the time, Yengeni was out on parole after his 2003 conviction for defrauding Parliament by failing to disclose a 47% discount on a 4×4 Mercedes-Benz.
Powered by WPeMatico