Clashes erupt as Morsi supporters march

Mohamed Morsi

Mohamed Morsi

Clashes broke out in central Cairo when supporters of deposed president Mohamed Morsi came under attack as they marched to the interior ministry.Supporters of the new military-installed government hurled stones at the marchers and threw bottles at them from balconies yesterday. Police then fired tear gas to disperse the crowds.

Al Jazeera’s Rawya Rageh, reporting from Cairo, said Morsi supporters had taken their protests to key government buildings in central Cairo.
“There were scuffles at least at three different points between protester groups after Morsi supporters surrounded some of the government buildings. They have been throwing bottles and rocks to each other,” our correspondent said.

A few thousand pro-Morsi protesters were taking part in the march when the scuffles began.
Local residents taunted them, calling them terrorists and saying they were not welcome before throwing stones at them, Reuters news agency reported. Morsi’s supporters also responded by hurling rocks.

Women and children fled the scene in panic, and two men wielding machetes were seen chasing marchers, Reuters said.
Al Jazeera’s Heba Fahmy, reporting from Cairo, said that 10 people were injured from fighting in front of the ministry of endowment between local residents and pro-Morsi Muslim scholars working in the ministry of endowments, according to Rabaa al-Adaweya field hospital.

“The pro-Morsi march that was heading to the Presidential Palace is now back in the Rabea al-Adaweya sit-in after protesting there for around 40 minutes. No incidents took place, according to the Anti-Coup Alliance media center” Fahmy said.

Morsi supporters continue to protest in-front of several ministries including the ministries of labour and electricity.
Supporters of the deposed president called for more mass demonstrations yesterday.

The so-called “Anti-Coup Alliance,” which supports Morsi, called for a “million-man demonstration” after the judiciary said on Monday that it was extending his detention for a further 15 days, pending an investigation into his alleged collaboration with the Palestinian group Hamas.

The ongoing standoff with the army-backed interim government, which has threatened to disperse the two Cairo sit-ins where thousands of pro-Morsi protesters have been camped out for over a month, has caused worry among the international community.

Egyptian authorities postponed a move to disperse two Cairo sit-ins on Monday to “avoid bloodshed,’’ security sources said.
The protesters are calling for the reinstatement of Morsi, who was overthrown by the military on 3 July and is now being held at an undisclosed location. — Al Jazeera.

Powered by WPeMatico

This entry was posted in Zimbabwe News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply