The nine officers implicated in the murder of Daveyton taxi driver Mido Macia have been granted bail in the Benoni Magistrates’ Court.
Magistrate Sam Makamu said today they would be released on R5 000 bail each.
This was after they convinced him that circumstances had changed since he denied them bail in March.
At the time, the State had argued that the investigations were not yet complete and the officers could meddle in the probe.
The State also argued there was a public outcry and that the group should be kept behind bars as their lives were therefore in danger.
Today, however, the defence argued that the investigations were complete, the accused would move to alternative addresses for their own safety and they had not meddled in the case thus far.
The bail conditions were that they appeared on all the trial dates. They were forbidden from contacting witnesses and were ordered to stay at their furnished addresses. They also needed to get permission before making trips outside of the province.
The trial was set to start in Delmas on November 11 and was expected to run until November 29.
Earlier in the day, the court heard there were pending charges against two of the nine officers.
The court heard that besides the murder charge, the two officers faced charges of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm.
Elias Tsole, who acted for the two in their assault case, testified that their trial was to be heard in the Daveyton Magistrates’ Court on July 30.
Tsole told the court those charges were withdrawn on the morning of the trial.
But the State said today the pair had not been acquitted of the charge and it would continue with the case. It served the pair with summons.
Powered by WPeMatico