Murray eyes US Open defence

OHIO -Andy Murray admitted on Monday he doesn’t know how he’ll perform in his US Open title defence, but he hopes a solid showing in Cincinnati this week will help him prepare.The world number two from Scotland, who ended Britain’s 77-year wait for a Wimbledon men’s champion last month, said that despite winning two Grand Slams he faces a new challenge when defending the American title.

“A lot of the pressure comes from yourself, how much you want to keep doing and how much you want to keep working,” Murray said. “I hope there’s still pressure there and I hope there’s still some expectation. There will be nerves and stuff.

“It’s going to be a new experience for me, though, at the US Open. I’ve never defended a Grand Slam title before, and hopefully I’ll deal with that OK.”

The US Open begins on 26 August. Murray meanwhile, has another practice day in Cincinnati as he waits to face Mikhail Youzhny or Ernests Gulbis – the Latvian who beat him last week in the second round of the Montreal Masters. In first-round matches of the combined WTA and ATP Masters tournament in Cincinnati on Monday, German Philipp Kohlschreiber defeated former finalist Mardy Fish 7-5, 6-2 to set up a second-round match with five-time champion Roger Federer last night.

Swiss great Federer, who will be playing on hardcourts for the first time since March, said he is over the back injury which bothered him on clay last month and is ready to bid for another Cincinnati crown.

The omens are good, at least – Federer has a 7-0 record over his German friend Kohlschreiber.
Spanish 13th seed Nicolas Almagro fell in a Masters first round for the second week in succession, going down to Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov 7-6 (7/3), 6-4. Dimitrov fired 19 aces. Czech Radek Stepanek knocked out Italian 14th seed Fabio Fognini 6-2, 6-4 while Serb Janko Tipsarevic sent American Sam Querrey packing 6-7 (5/7), 6-3, 6-4.

Brian Baker, who retired at the Australian Open with a serious knee injury and has been in rehab ever since, opened with a 7-5, 6-3 defeat of Denis Istomin, four days after the Uzbek took a set off world number one Novak Djokovic in Montreal.

Argentina’s Juan Monaco kept Austrian Jurgen Melzer winless since late June at Wimbledon with a 6-3, 6-2 victory, while Spain’s Marcel Granollers beat Lukas Rosol 5-7, 6-4, 6-0. –Sport24.

Powered by WPeMatico

This entry was posted in Zimbabwe News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply