UNITED NATIONS, United States / United States,Â Aug 15, 2013Â (AFP)
France,Â Britain and Australia jointly requested an emergency meeting of the UNÂ Security Council to discuss the deadly violence in Egypt, diplomats saidÂ Thursday.
The meeting — which would be closed-door consultations — could take placeÂ later in the day, they said.
The request comes one day after a bloody crackdown by Egyptian securityÂ forces on protesters backing the deposed Islamist president Mohamed Morsi,Â which left more than 500 people dead.
France, Britain and Australia are three of the 15 countries currentlyÂ sitting on the Security Council. France and Britain are permanent members.
One diplomat said that the joint request had been submitted to Argentina,Â which currently presides over the council. The diplomat added that a CouncilÂ statement was not likely.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon condemned the crackdown, and UN rightsÂ chief Navi Pillay demanded that a wide-ranging probe be carried out.
EarlierÂ Thursday, Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan called for anÂ urgent Security Council meeting.
“This is a very serious massacre… against the Egyptian people who wereÂ only protesting peacefully,” Erdogan said, criticizing “the silence” of theÂ global community in the face of the bloodshed.
Click here to read the article from its source.
Powered by WPeMatico