North West ANC to snub Marikana event

marikana32 North West ANC to snub Marikana event

The ANC in North West will not attend today’s commemoration of the Marikana violence in which 44 people were killed.

“The commemoration is organised by an illegitimate team called ‘Marikana Support Group’ – a group which the African National Congress does not recognise,” spokesperson Kenny Morolong said in a statement last night.

The ANC would only participate in a commemoration organised by government, as agreed with families, Lonmin Platinum and labour unions.

Today marks the first anniversary of the shootings at Lonmin’s Marikana mine, near Rustenburg in North West.

On August 16 last year, 34 striking mine workers were killed when police fired on them while trying to disperse and disarm them.

Ten people, including two policemen and two security guards, were killed in strike-related violence the preceding week.

“The ANC finds it immoral and totally unacceptable that such a traumatic incident could be turned into a political playground by some political parties who seek to enhance their political ambitions and interests,” Morolong said.

The National Union of Mineworkers on Thursday also signalled that it would not be attending the commemorations.

Spokesperson Lesiba Seshoka said the decision was based on the fact that the events were organised by the Marikana Support Group, rather than Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe’s office.

The post North West ANC to snub Marikana event appeared first on City Press.

Powered by WPeMatico

This entry was posted in South Africa News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply