Concourt dismisses Marikana funding application

Dali Mpofu Concourt dismisses Marikana funding application

An application to compel the State to fund the legal costs of miners wounded in the Marikana shootings last year has been dismissed by the Constitutional Court.

“The court has considered all arguments. The application has been dismissed,” said Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng today.

The legal costs relate to the Farlam Commission of Inquiry, which is investigating the deaths of 44 people during strike-related unrest at Lonmin Platinum’s mining operations in Marikana, North West, last year.

Thirty four people – almost all striking mine workers – were killed on August 16 when police fired on them. Ten people, including two police officers, were killed in the preceding week.

Dali Mpofu, for the miners, told the commission in June that it could be the last time he represented the miners due to financial constraints.

He brought an urgent court application in the High Court in Pretoria several weeks ago, but this was dismissed.

Mpofu then went to the Constitutional Court in a bid to compel government to pay his legal team which is representing the miners.

The post Concourt dismisses Marikana funding application appeared first on City Press.

Powered by WPeMatico

This entry was posted in South Africa News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply