Ex-judge gunned down in Libya’s Benghazi

BENGHAZI, Libya, Aug 19, 2013 (AFP)

A former judge, aged 79, was gunned down as he left a mosque in the restive eastern city of Benghazi on Monday, a Libyan security services spokesman said.

“Fethi Lekhfifi, a former judge, was shot dead as he came out of a mosque in Benghazi at dawn,” said Colonel Abdallah al-Zayedi.

He said the elderly man was struck by bullets to the head fired by unknown gunmen in a car, in an apparent revenge attack for his work as a judge.

“The perpetrators were people with criminal records who had been sentenced by judge Lekhfifi,” he said, noting that thousands of inmates had been set free during Libya’s 2011 revolution.

A hospital source said the ex-judge appeared to have been shot by a sharpshooter and had died on the spot.

Cradle of the 2011 uprising that ousted long-time dictator Moamer Kadhafi, Benghazi has been rocked by a series of killings of soldiers and police who served under the former regime.

Libya’s new authorities have struggled to re-establish order and form a professional police force and army since Kadhafi’s overthrow, with former rebel fighters having formed powerful militias.

Click here to read the article from its source.

Powered by WPeMatico

This entry was posted in Morocco News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply