Sending troops to the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) will cost South Africa about R402.8 million, President Jacob Zuma has said.
Zuma has informed Parliament that 1 345 members of the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) have been sent to the DRC as part of the United Nations intervention brigade mission there.
The mission is part-funded by the UN.
The troops were deployed on June 13 2013 to March 31 2014.
“Our soldiers are doing exceptionally well in the continent. We congratulate them and assure them of the support of their compatriots as they continue to contribute to the building of a better Africa, as a force for peace. We are very proud of them and their contribution to African renewal and development,” said Zuma in a statement this morning.
Zuma is in Luanda, Angola, to consult with Angola President José Eduardo dos Santos and DRC President Joseph Kabila on peace efforts in the region.
Yesterday, news agency Agence France-Presse reported that fresh fighting broke out outside the city of Goma.
M23 rebels attacked government-held positions on Wednesday night 20 kilometres north of the capital of North Kivu province.
Both sides said they were not yet able to say how many people had been killed or wounded.
The SANDF said South African soldiers were not involved in the battles although they could engage armed troops if needed.
Powered by WPeMatico