Retrial of Egypt’s Mubarak begins

Mubarak (85), was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison last year for complicity in the killing of about 900 protesters during the 18-day revolt against him in 2011.

Mubarak (85), was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison last year for complicity in the killing of about 900 protesters during the 18-day revolt against him in 2011.

The retrial has begun in Cairo of Hosni Mubarak on charges of complicity in the killings of protesters during the uprising that toppled him two years ago.
The deposed Egyptian president was escorted by medical and security personnel on Sunday into an ambulance to be taken by helicopter from Maadi Military Hospital to the Cairo Police Academy where he faces judges again.
Mubarak’s co-defendants, his sons and the former interior minister, Habib al-Adly, also arrived at the Police Academy amid heavy security presence.

Al Jazeera’s Wayne Hay, reporting from outside the academy, said Mubarak’s initial appearance was likely to be procedural.

The defence team demanded the testimony of Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi, current defence minister and head of the armed force, because he was the director of military intelligence during Mubarak’s rule.

Mubarak (85), was found guilty and sentenced to life in prison last year for complicity in the killing of about 900 protesters during the 18-day revolt against him in 2011.

He is being retried after his successful appeal against the previous conviction.

“The judge assured the public that the trial would be ‘a very transparent process’ and that people would be given access to the documents used as evidence in the case,” our correspondent said.

Mubarak has been under house arrest after being released from detention last week.

Hazem el-Beblawi, Egypt’s interim prime minister, said on Saturday that his government was putting priority on increasing security to restore peace and improve the country’s economy.

He also dismissed accusations that Hosni Mubarak’s release was a return to Egypt’s old political order.

Separately, the trial of Mohamed Badie, “spiritual leader” of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, and his two deputies, Khairat al-Shater and Rashad Bayoumy, was adjourned just minutes after it opened on Sunday.

The court adjourned the trial of the Brotherhood leaders and 32 other defendants till October 29 so that the defendants could be brought to court.

The men, who officials said did not appear in court for security reasons, are accused of inciting the murder of protesters.

Yesterday’s hearing was the first in the proceedings against the senior Brotherhood leaders, who were detained after the removal of President Mohamed Morsi from power by the military on 3 July.

Egyptian authorities issued arrest warrants and detention orders for hundreds of Brotherhood members in recent days.
According to the security sources, at least 2,000 of them have been arrested since August 14.

On Saturday, the Egytian Interior Ministry announced the arrest of Mohye Hamed, an adviser to Morsi.

A week earlier, vigilantes at neighbourhood checkpoints battled Morsi supporters across Cairo in heavy clashes between residents that killed more than 170 people, including dozens of police officers. — Al Jazeera

Powered by WPeMatico

Share
This entry was posted in Zimbabwe News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply