On the eve of the announcement of this year’s SA Sports Awards, the SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (Sascoc) has indicated that it will not act as a “postbox” for the controversial event.
Sascoc president Gideon Sam admitted this week that the sporting body is unhappy over how the costly awards were managed in the past.
It does not want millions in state and Lotto money to flow through Sascoc’s coffers for the event.
City Press’ sister publication, Rapport, contacted Sam about this when it became apparent from Sascoc’s latest annual report that the body will not spend another cent on the event.
In the 2011/12 financial year, Sascoc spent R12 million on the awards from the department of sport and recreation along with a further R8 million from National Lottery’s trust fund.
The lottery’s board said that it did not receive an application for funding for the awards this year.
National Lottery spokesperson Sershan Naidoo said: “If there are problems between the two organisations (Sascoc and the department of sport), it’s between them and not us.”
The announcement of this year’s awards will take place on Wednesday.
Sam said Sascoc was unhappy about how the events-management company handled the awards, without showing responsibility to any party.
He also accused Rapport of trying to sow division between Sascoc and the department of sport. Rapport had earlier reported on R17 million awarded to C-Squared Consumer Connectedness to manage the awards.
Earlier this year, Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula indicated his department will spend R21 million on the awards.
Powered by WPeMatico