Mealies, mealies & more mealies
Easy to serve.
RECIPE ELISE ALBERTS PICTURES RUVAN BOSHOFF
- 2 cups mealie rice
- 1,5 ℓ boiling water
- 2 cups coarse mealie meal
- 10 ml salt
- 1 tin (410 g) whole-kernel mealies, drained
- 60 ml butter or margarine
- 2 cups tomato-and-onion smoor, bought or home-made
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- Let it soak. Cover the mealie rice with water and let it soak for a few hours or preferably overnight.
- Pap, as usual. Drain the mealie rice. Place it in a large, heavy-bottomed pot along with the boiling water, mealie meal and salt, mix through and heat until boiling. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for about an hour. Stir the pap through once or twice.
- More heat. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 180 ºC.
- Mielies from the tin. Stir the kernels into the pap with the butter. Mix thoroughly and let it cool slightly.
- Rounded. Use an ice-cream spoon and spoon out balls of pap into a greased ovenproof dish. Pour a thick layer of tomato-and-onion relish or mushroom-and-bacon sauce over.
- Cheese and enjoy! Sprinkle cheese over and stick it in the oven for about 20 minutes. Serve with braaivleis.
Go! says: The pap freezes well. Take it out of the freezer when you need it, allow it to thaw, pour over the sauce, sprinkle over the cheese and heat it in the microwave.
Powered by WPeMatico