A total of 40 shacks were gutted by fire this morning at the Rugby Club informal settlement in Roodepoort, Johannesburg emergency services said.
The fire was believed to have been started by either a faulty electrical appliance or a candle around 5am, said spokesman Robert Mulaudzi.
About 50 people have been displaced.
Mulaudzi said this was the second fire in the Johannesburg area in the last 24 hours. 17 shacks were destroyed and 25 families displaced in Diepsloot yesterday.
Community members needed to look after their heating, lighting and cooking appliances as these often were the cause of such fire, he said.
“They must refrain from buying these products on the street as they are unregulated.
“We’ve started a campaign to educate people to look after their equipment and to identify non-regulated products,” said Mulaudzi.
Powered by WPeMatico