Power was restored to all areas in Johannesburg following outages during the week, City Power said.
“Any remaining power interruptions are not the result of the illegal work stoppage,” City Power spokesperson Sol Masolo said today in a statement.
But isolated outages, unrelated to the strike, meant not all power supply was yet restored, Masolo said.
The electricity at former president Nelson Mandela’s home in Houghton, north of Johannesburg, has also been restored, Masolo said.
“The lights are back on at Madiba’s house.”
Houghton’s electricity was restored last night.
A few hundred disgruntled workers downed tools on Wednesday over a new shift structure. This led to widespread outages. City Power said the new shifts were intended to improve service delivery.
He said regional command centres had been set up to ensure no further tampering with the power network.
“The centres have dispatched task teams to depots and improved security across all regions to prevent further tampering.”
Gauteng Safety MEC Faith Mazibuko said yesterday striking workers had “sabotaged” substations around the city. This, she said, amounted to “terrorism”.
City Power today said it had met with two unions about the strike.
The company committed itself to negotiating with two unions only – the SA Municipal Workers’ Union (Samwu) and the Independent Municipal and Allied Trade Union (Imatu) – owing to “formal channels previously agreed on”.
Masolo did not elaborate on this.
“In the meeting, which was an information-sharing session, City Power indicated its concern over the manner in which striking employees disrupted the network,” Masolo said in a statement.
“It shared the steps taken to ensure a continuous electricity supply…”
Powered by WPeMatico