Numsa’s application to have Cosatu general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi’s suspension overturned was postponed by the high court in Johannesburg after an application by opposing unions to intervene was allowed.
Addressing the unions present in court, Craig Watt-Pringle, for the intervening unions, said today it had been agreed that the application be postponed indefinitely to allow them to file affidavits.
“The intervening unions have been allowed to intervene. The matter is likely to be set down for October 8,” he said.
The National Union of Metalworkers of SA (Numsa) was expected to file an opposing affidavit by October 2.
The intervening unions are the National Union of Mineworkers, the SA Democratic Teachers’ Union, the Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union, the SA Transport and Allied Workers’ Union, the National Education, Health and Allied Workers’ Union, the Finance Union, and the Chemical, Energy, Paper, Printing, Wood and Allied Workers’ Union.
The court was packed with people wearing the T-shirts of various unions, including Numsa, the Food, and Allied Workers’ Union, and the Congress of SA Trade Unions (Cosatu).
Numsa general secretary Irvin Jim was present and stood outside before the proceedings started.
During an adjournment, Jim spoke to Cosatu president Sdumo Dlamini.
Vavi was suspended last month for bringing Cosatu into disrepute after he admitted to having an affair with an employee.
In court papers, Numsa called Vavi’s suspension “unconstitutional and unprecedented”.
Fawu and the SA Football Players’ Union are listed as co-applicants in Numsa’s court action.
There was no sign of Vavi this morning.
The post Vavi suspension: Numsa’s application to overturn postponed appeared first on City Press.
Powered by WPeMatico