Boxing SA boss’ chequered past

Boxing SA chief executive Moffat Qithi was charged and found guilty of dishonesty, insubordination and gross negligence by the Walter Sisulu University (WSU), the South Gauteng High Court has heard.

This was revealed by Advocate Laurance Hodes, during cross-examination yesterday in Branco Milenkovic’s defamation case against Qithi and BSA.

The BSA boss, who worked as chief operations officer for WSU, admitted that he had been charged but said he wasn’t privy to the outcome of the disciplinary hearing launched against him by the university. He said he wasn’t fired but resigned from his post at WSU.

He had been on suspension for the duration of the hearing.

Hodes, however, told the court that Qithi resigned on April 8 2010, five days after WSU’s Disciplinary Hearing Tribunal delivered its final ruling, finding him guilty of three out of the five charges and eventually showing him the door.

The embattled former OR Tambo district municipal manager was convicted for possession of stolen property in 1995, convicted for drunken driving and had a pending case of drinking in public, said Hodes.

Qithi conceded to the convictions for possession of property and drunken driving but initially denied the pending case only to change his answer at a later stage after Hodes had repeated the question several times.

Qithi admitted he had not declared his criminal convictions to the BSA board, which recommended him for the post of CEO to Minister of Sport and Recreation Fikile Mbalula in June 2011.

Asked why he did not inform the board during his interview, he said there was “no obligation to disclose” and that “the onus was on the board”.

The matter continues.

The post Boxing SA boss’ chequered past appeared first on City Press.

Powered by WPeMatico

This entry was posted in South Africa News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply