The ANC Youth League in the Eastern Cape has dodged a meeting to avoid being formally told its days are numbered.
Its national body has been disbanded and replaced with a task team, and seven of the nine provincial structures have already been dissolved.
The league was supposed to meet the national task team last week, but provincial secretary Mzonke Ndabeni said they abandoned the meeting because the task team had brought private security guards.
“We felt unsafe. We could not sit in a meeting where there are bouncers. Why would the task team need protection from us?”
Last week’s meeting would have been the league’s third meeting with the national task team, which is making frequent visits to the Eastern Cape to try to disband the structure once and for all.
“All this national task team is doing is wiping out anything that smells like Julius Malema,” Ndabeni said.
“We are targeted simply because we served under Julius, not because there is any fault with us.”
He said they had written to the ANC’s top six asking them to intervene.
ANC spokesperson Jackson Mthembu said on Friday: “This is an internal ANC matter and does not concern City Press.”
Ndabeni said the league had 700 branches in the Eastern Cape, one with at least 100 members.
“Disbanding us means you are killing about 40 000 members of the youth league in a day.”
Mzwandile Masina, convener of the national task team, confirmed that various meetings had been held with the Eastern Cape youth league recently.
Masina criticised the league’s members for walking out of last week’s meeting, saying they should have sat and listened.
He would not be drawn on the nature of the meeting, saying the matter would be dealt with internally.
“We are constantly in contact with all the structures, including in the Eastern Cape … Our relationship with them is okay,” he said.
Powered by WPeMatico