John Hlophe tribunal set for next week

Cape Judge President John Hlophe will face a tribunal next week to deal with a complaint dating back to 2008.

“Next week, after many battles in several courts and many delays on the part of the (Judicial Service Commission, JSC) and Judge Hlophe, his conduct is eventually to be considered by a disciplinary tribunal appointed by the JSC,” civil rights organisation Freedom Under Law said in a statement today.

According to the original complaint, justices of the Constitutional Court in 2008 alleged that he had approached justices Chris Jafta and Bess Nkabinde with the intention of improperly influencing them in a matter before the court.

The matter involved corruption charges against President Jacob Zuma, then ANC president and an ordinary citizen.

The tribunal is to begin proceedings at the OR Tambo International Airport in Kempton Park next Monday.

Hearings will be open to the public.

Meanwhile, JSC secretariat Sello Chiloane said that at a prehearing meeting on Saturday, it was decided that a technical point raised by Hlophe and judges Nkabinde and Jafta would only be dealt with during the actual tribunal.

“All those points are going to be argued on the first day of the hearing,” said Chiloane.

Chiloane confirmed that the point raised at the meeting had been that the initial complaint against Hlophe to the JSC was not submitted under oath.

The post John Hlophe tribunal set for next week appeared first on City Press.

Powered by WPeMatico

This entry was posted in South Africa News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply