The Public Protector’s preliminary Nkandla report looks set to be released within weeks.
This comes after Thuli Madonsela received the information she had been waiting for to complete her initial investigation.
The information she requested on August 11, to be furnished to her by an unnamed official, was finally sent to her yesterday.
In a statement this morning Madonsela said: “The responses received from the party will be analysed and integrated into the provisional report. On conclusion of the provisional report, the Public Protector will share it with affected parties with a view to solicit their comments”.
She complained publicly at a media conference last week that the official had not sent her the information despite numerous demands to do so.
Madonsela would not name the official or the department concerned because she wanted to “protect” the integrity of the investigation.
The provisional report into the controversial R206 million upgrades to President Jacob Zuma’s Nkandla residence will only be handed to those affected by her investigation, including Zuma and Public Works Minister Thulas Nxesi.
The investigation is expected to shed light on the use of taxpayers’ money to upgrade Zuma’s private residence.
Zuma has refuted allegations the money was sourced from the public purse and said his family was responsible for paying the bond on the upgrades.
Nxesi and Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa have refused to release an internal task team report that investigated the upgrades, saying the report has been classified as “secret”. The Democratic Alliance announced this week that it would approach the Western Cape High Court to force the public works department to release the report.
DA Parliamentary leader Lindiwe Mazibuko is now suing Nxesi, the department’s director general and Zuma to compel the department to release the report.
Mazibuko had submitted a Public Access to Information Act application to compel Nxesi to release the report, but this came to nought.
The ANC, meanwhile, has labelled the DA’s court bid as an “attention-seeking” stunt, questioning why the opposition could not wait for Madonsela to complete her investigation.
Mazibuko said the court bid was a “political move” by her party after numerous attempts to get to the bottom of the truth on the upgrades failed.
“We want to know who gave the authorisation, did they know how much it would cost? Did they inflate the costs over time? And was there an instruction from the top to say ‘continue with this upgrade, we know how much it cost, it doesn’t matter, this is what the president is entitle to’,” said Mazibuko.
Powered by WPeMatico