YooMee Africa, a wireless broadband operator in Cameroon, owning licenses in several countries on the African continent will use Alcatel-Lucent equipment when expanding as its main partner
Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) will enable YooMee Africa, the leading high-speed Internet service provider in Cameroon, to expand into new African market by offering TDD LTE ultra-broadband wireless access.
YooMee – previously known as 4G Africa – provides high-speed reliable Internet access and value added services to residences and businesses customers throughout sub-Saharan Africa. LTE is the best choice for YooMee to build wireless broadband networks as it is the latest worldwide standard to offer mobile internet services replacing technologies like WiMAX.
· YooMee has targeted deploying TDD LTE in its new markets within the next 6 months.
· The operator expects to build out in average 35 to 50 sites per capital city before deploying in remaining cities of the countries it operates in.
· Alcatel-Lucent will deploy a complete end-to-end TDD LTE solution consisting of eNBs, Wireless Backhaul and the Evolved Packet Core (EPC).
· Alcatel-Lucent will also provide professional services such as network planning, pre-launch optimisation, network integration, and start-up assistance services to accompany YooMee with its commercial rollout
· This agreement with YooMee is another example of the growing momentum of TDD LTE technology and further underlines Alcatel-Lucent’s commitment and success to the technology
· Alcatel-Lucent currently has more than 40 LTE and 55 small cells networks globally.
· TDD LTE is a key element of The Shift Plan, Alcatel-Lucent’s industrial strategy to become a specialist vendor of IP Networking and Ultra-Broadband Access.
Dov Bar-Gera, CEO of YooMee Africa, said: “YooMee is committed to helping eliminate the digital divide in Africa and providing ultra-broadband accessibility as the means to accomplishing that goal. In addition to our efforts in Cameroon, we plan to deploy TDD LTE in other countries in which YooMee is holding the relevant licenses in the coming years. Our work at the University of Douala giving 70,000 students and faculty access to broadband internet at very affordable rates is another indicator of our commitment to improving the quality of life in Africa by overcoming the digital divide.”
Peter Ziegelwanger, CTO of YooMee Africa, said: “YooMee Africa made the choice of Alcatel-Lucent because it brings a strong momentum in LTE as well as a competitive solution with a powerful IP-Centric ePC based on its 7750 Mobile Gateway. Alcatel-Lucent strong and historical presence in Africa was also very important to us as we need competent and responding support in all countries we operate.”
Daniel Jaeger, Vice-President of Alcatel-Lucent in Africa said: “The choice of Alcatel-Lucent by YooMee confirms our leadership in LTE and specifically our market leadership in Africa. We have shown that we can adapt to the different requirements of service providers in Africa by offering the products, services and expertise to meet their need. This solution leverages both our Wireless and our IP leadership capabilities to provide exactly what YooMee needed for their plans. We look forward to working alongside YooMee as they expand ultra-broadband service in Sub-Saharan Africa.”
Alpin Verlet, Country Officer and Sales director for Alcatel-Lucent in West and Central Africa said: “We are very pleased to accompany YooMee Africa to deploy TDD LTE and to benefit from high-speed Wireless broadband services, it will allow consumers to benefit from true high added-value services of LTE technology.” He added: “Alcatel-Lucent has extensive expertise in delivering comprehensive Wireless broadband services to meet the needs of many communities. Africa represents a major opportunity for growth in ultra-Broadband and it is a significant part of our strategy to form strategic partnerships like YooMee who are committed to make a significant contribution to the country’s economy in all sectors”.
Source: YooMee Africa