Uganda 11th December 2013. As 2013 comes to a close, it’s time to take our annual look at the videos, channels, and moments that shaped our year. As unpredictable as each year seems to be, it’s clear that trending videos are getting bigger, and the global community responsible for them is driving pop culture unlike ever before.
Globally, the world watched the The Fox more than 265 million times, making it the top trending video of 2013. Viewers also made it a top searched Halloween costume, and you’ll maybe even read it as a children’s book. The global public turned out in record-setting numbers to see Psy’s post-Gangnam Style performance. You watched, listened, and reacted to just about everything Miley Cyrus did. And you made more “Harlem Shake” videos than there are people in Manhattan (1.7 million if you’re counting).
Uganda favourites for 2013, depicted a strong love for music with Ugandans dancing their year away to Dr Jose Chameleone’s Bandilisha,Radio & Weasels Magnetic, and Pastor Wilson Bugembes Mpangira .
More music from local artists like Bebe Cools Cococidiosis and Remas Kukaliba also got Ugandans Dancing with Zambian artist Mampi also getting a fair share of Ugandan viewers shaking to the tunes of her popular hit song Swilili.
Ugandans also demonstrated their growing love for comedy with Kansiime Anne on NTV Ugandas minibuzz.
In the spirit of true sportsmanship,Ugandans revered the moments Stephen Kiprotich became 2013 marathon champion with national pride.
Behind every great video is a great channel, and the channels behind this year’s top videos have more than 23 million subscribers around the world. Thanks to videos and channels like these, you’re now watching more than 7 billion hours of video every month on YouTube, and uploading a week’s worth of video per minute. And fans of YouTube are truly global — with 80% of views coming from outside the United States.
Check out the YouTube Rewind 2013 Channel for even more top lists of the year from round the world, and stay tuned at Google.com/Zeitgeist next week for Google’s annual look at the people, aplaces and events that captured the world’s attention this year.
For more info, images and video: visit the YouTube Rewind press site: https://sites.google.com/site/ytrewindpress/
Global Top Trending Videos for 2013
Global Top Music Videos for 2013
FAQ and Additional Resources
You don’t just watch videos – you share, like, make responses and more. So we looked at the many ways you interact with videos to identify the top trending videos that everybody was talking about in 2013.
We chose the top channels based off their subscriber growth this year. We also took into account views, reach and engagement.
You now watch six billion hours of video every month on YouTube. More stats are available here.
There’s no exact formula, but popular videos tend to have three key characteristics. They’re entertaining or informative in some way, they’re something that you want to share with other people, and they come from a channel with more videos like it.
● Almost 40% of YouTube viewership is from mobile.
● The number of people subscribing daily is up more than 3X, and number of subscriptions daily is up 4X y/y
● YouTube’s iOS app has been downloaded more than 250 million times
● Videos in YouTube’s “education” category are now viewed x2 those in “Pets and animals”
● People upload more than 100 hours per minute to YouTube
● 6B hours of video watched/month (5/1/13)
● YouTube reaches more US adults aged 18-34 than any cable network (Nielsen)
● Partner revenue increased by 60% over the last year
● 1 billion unique monthly users
● 75% of our ads that appear in videos are now skippable
● Users are watching 50% more YouTube than last year
● Thousands of partners are now making six figures
● YouTube Rewind Press Site: https://sites.google.com/site/ytrewindpress/
● YouTube logos: http://www.youtube.com/yt/brand/downloads.html
● YouTube press room for further info and stats: http://www.youtube.com/yt/press/index.html