1) What products, services and projects of Kempston are you most excited about at the moment?
We are suppliers of Claas products that include Combine Harvester Equipment, Tractors and Greenline Machinery ( Self-propelled Forage Harvesters, Square and Round Balers and Mowers).
2) What makes your company competitive in this market?-
Because we are highly invested and committed to the distribution and support in excellent aftersales service.
3) Any specific projects or success stories you would like to share?
The Kempston Group has been in existence for over 40 years with many successes in financial services, motor retail, food processing, truck hire and agriculture, amongst others. Within our agricultural division, the group owns approximately 15 000ha of land, a Claas retail outlet, an agricultural contracting operation as well as the distribution rights to the Claas brand in SA, Zambia, Mozambique and Botswana. Please visit www.kempston.com
4) What in your view are the main challenges for the agricultural sector in Zambia?
• High cost of production, the setting of floor prices is disadvantaging farmers as it does not consider the production costs.
• Low productivity- due to resources and agricultural service support and loss of draught power.
• High dependence on rain fed agriculture and related risks, and limited utilization of irrigation.
• High post-harvest losses
• Deficiencies in the early warning system and inadequate food reserves
• Limited diversification of agricultural production
• High incidence of crop and livestock diseases
• Inadequate infrastructure and high energy/ transport costs leading to poor markets access by farmers resulting in loss of income and poor access to inputs;
• Limited access to affordable credit especially for medium and long term investment
• Poor functioning grain markets which limit small farmers to access markets
• Restrictive trade policies which affects price volatility and regional specialisation
• Limited domestic market
• Security of land tenure and land acquisition
• Loss of Labour due to HIV/Aids
5) What advice would you give someone who is interested in investing in the Zambian Agri-sector?
The government has been very supportive in the sector with the waiving of most taxes in the sector, the 6th Agricultural Development Plan has tackled most of the problems and the government is making efforts to make the sector contribute highly to GDP. Because of the problems above companies are investing in energy saving ventures to reduce costs of farmers.
6) What is your vision for the sector, also in terms of the region?
Zambia has a lot of land resource which is fertile as well as good water resources. In this regard we want to bring in our advanced technology to assist in reducing overheads for the farmer by giving them efficient and intelligent machinery.
7) Why did you decide to partner with Agritech Expo?
To show farmers what we have to offer and demonstrate our machines to stakeholders. Claas has over 100 years’ of experience in equipment.
8) What will be your main message at Agritech Expo?
Claas machinery is one of the best in the world, if you need efficient, cost effective ways of farming we have the best machines adapted for the job.