Ethiopia imbeds cross-cultural civilizations from North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Middle East. Gifted with unique historical wonders and pleasant hospitality, Ethiopia offers adventurous exploration opportunities. Ethiopia’s landscape and weather conditions makes it impressive. It has twelve months of sunshine where you can have a yearlong getaway.
1. As a place of incredible diversity and ancient civilization, Ethiopia creates a chance to interact with the local community and witness the lifestyle of the people unique from the rest of the world.
2. Ethiopia’s long history and its diverse ethnic groups resulted in a culinary variety of blended indigenous ingredients that create a wide range of exclusive healthy cuisines. The dishes consist of vegetables and meat served in a form of thick stew. It has its own unique breakfast, lunch and dinner specialties.
3. Ethiopian history dates back to ancient times. Lalibela is the eighth global wonder, with eleven monolithic churches of remarkable rock-hewn construction. It was built in early 13th century during the regime of King Lalibela. Gondar with several castles, and the walled and ancient city of Harar are admirable wonders.
4. The Addis Ababa National Museum shows rare historical reserves. ‘Lucy’, the 3.5 million year old hominid skeleton, is the most famous exhibit in this museum.
5. Yeha, one of Ethiopia’s ancient civilization that dates back to the 5th century BC. It is a spectacular archeological complex and a magnificent temple located about 54km north east of Aksum. Following Yeha, the Aksumite kingdom was one of the greatest African civilizations after Egypt and Meroe.
6. To know how far men go to marry the love of their life then you need to see Hamer and Mursi people who live in the South Omo. A man has to go through a brave ritual jump over several cattles, bloody fighting with the strongest man in the community and hunting to prove to his bride and the community that he is the one. The scars remain a proof of his courage and strength earning him respect and a wife.
7. Danakil one of the world active fire lake goes 125 meters below sea level. The molten rock of lava bubbles up to the surface making you feel as though on another planet.
8. The annual carnival on January 19 Timkat (Ethiopian Epiphany) is colorfully celebrated all over Ethiopia by the Orthodox religion followers. The clergy, deacons, singers and the public gather in large numbers dressed in crystal clear white yehbesha libse (locally made and designed clothing’s) portraying a spectacle feature to the day.
9. The view of the powerful waterfalls and the four streams of the Blue Nile creates a magnificent wonder. Lake Tana, the source of Blue Nile River which meets the White Nile River in neighboring Sudan forms an attractive view in the land of Ethiopia.
10. Simien Mountains has several animal species specific to the region, and over 400 species of birds making it the African Amazon. Counted among the nine UNESCO registered natural heritages of Ethiopia, it provides a tough and immensely rewarding trekking route. The spectacular scenery is considered to rival Colorado’s Grand Canyon.
Jovago.com is an online hotel booking service with offices in Africa, Asia and Europe. Founded by Africa Internet Group having MTN and Millicom as its investors. Jovago.com, Africa’s leading booking website, facilitates the booking process for its users to provide them with the best hotel booking experience with fast, transparent and easy-to-use services. Jovago.com has over 20,000 local hotel listings across Africa and over 200,000 hotels around the globe.
By Eden Sahle