Ghana will be witnessing the development an industrial business center officially unveiled as The WestPark which will be a center for industries to manufacture products locally and also engage in business comfortably to aid in the development of West Africa’s growing market. The WestPark was officially announced during the G20 Africa Partnership Conference in Berlin by the developers, BlackIvy – company that build and grows logistics and infrastructure solutions for emerging economies and businesses that serve the needs of the growing middle class. The project is estimated to cover an area of 405 acres and situated in Takoradi, along with the coast of Ghana. Germany’s Robert Bosch GmbH and Kärcher GmbH & Co. KG, America’s sports apparel manufacturer DTRT Apparel Ltd. and Ghana’s Quantum Group are strategic partners of the WestPark project. The partners are positive that this project will increase employment opportunities and ease trade growth within the West African region.
Commenting on the development, Dr. Ludger Schuknecht, the German G20 Deputy said “It is encouraging to see private companies at the heart of Africa’s growth story. Germany’s G20 Presidency with its Compact with Africa initiative focuses on establishing the right frameworks to inspire more firms to invest in fast-growing markets such as Ghana.”
Key highlights of partners of the WestPark project are:
- DignityDTRT Apparel’s aim to expand its employment to about 5,000 in Ghana by 2019: Together with its Ghanaian joint venture partner, the American Dignity industries is a sports and sports-lifestyle OEM apparel manufacturer exporting to the United States. DignityDTRT currently employs close to 1,500 people in Accra and plans to expand operations based on customer demand to over 2,000 employees this year. DignityDTRT already ranks as one of Ghana’s largest private employers and provides leading, cost competitive apparel manufacturing services via a unique global supply chain platform spanning three continents.
- Bosch Power Tools entity’s target to train thousands of artisans at The WestPark: onsite training at construction sites, strong after sales service with quick repairs throughout the country and Bosch’s unique solutions box – offering artisans the right tools and guidance for the job at hand.
- Quantum’s investment in a 32,000-metric ton cocoa processing facility to add value to one of Ghana’s most valuable resources, producing cocoa liquor, butter and powder for export.
- Kärcher’s vision to work with MMDA’s in Ghana to provide support in ensuring proper sanitation within cities and also leveraging its planned location at The WestPark to support sales of its professional cleaning tools and solutions throughout West Africa.
- Stanbic Bank to establish a branch at The WestPark to offer the right financial solutions to ease the market entry for new investors and facilitate the growth of businesses in West Africa.