The purpose of the study is to develop a methodology offering the opportunity to the local governments of Morocco to have at their disposal a local economic development steering tool for the promotion of economic activities and employment
United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (www.AfriqueLocale.org/en) will organize in cooperation with the High Planning Commission (www.HCP.ma) of Morocco, on November 2, 2017 at Hotel Sofitel Rabat ‘Jardin des Roses’, a national support workshop for the implementation of the economic dimension of decentralization in Morocco.
This workshop is one of the outcomes of a methodological study initiated by the two institutions since 2010. The purpose of the study is to develop a methodology offering the opportunity to the local governments of Morocco to have at their disposal a local economic development steering tool for the promotion of economic activities and employment. The Chefchaouen Municipality served within the framework of this study, as the pilot project of which the first findings were published in 2016.
The main objective of the workshop is to succeed in launching a National Program on the Rereading of Municipal Development Plans (MDCs) and Regional Development Plans (RDPs) with a view to integrating better the economic dimension of their realization, in support to the Advanced Regionalization of Morocco. This through:
1) The review of the methodology used to obtain the results of the elaboration of the economic accounts of the City of Chefchaouen and of its province, and their scope for the local governments of Morocco;
2) The determination of what the elaboration of local economic accounts imply with regard to the collection of statistical data;
3) The development of a program of economic rereading of municipal and regional development plans based on the perspective of economic development of territories;
4) The review of the type of South South cooperation that may be developed in these areas.
The official opening of the meeting will be chaired over by Mr. Khalid SAFIR, Wali, Director General of the Dept. of Local Governments of the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Kingdom of Morocco, in the presence of:
- Mr. Ahmed Lahlimi Alami, Head of the High Planning Commission;
- Mr. Mohand LAENSER, President of the Association of Regions of Morocco (ARM)
- Mr. Mohamed Boudra, President of the Moroccan Association of Presidents of Municipal Councils (AMPCC)
- Mr. Jean Pierre Elong Mbassi, Secretary General of UCLG Africa.
About one hundred participants representing the local governments and the main departments involved in the decentralization and economic development of Morocco, are expected at the meeting. Other participants in the meeting will include the following national and international institutions: the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), the Economic and Statistical Observatory of Sub-Saharan Africa (AFRISTATS), the Municipal Capital Investment Fund of Morocco (FEC) and the National Human Development Initiative (INDH-Marco).
The national press as well as the international press (based in Morocco) are invited to cover the opening ceremony of the scheduled workshop, on this Thursday, 02 November 2017 at 09H00 a.m., at Hotel Sofitel Rabat ‘Jardin des Roses (Hall So)’.
Source: United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG Africa).