The Firm has also been recognized in 15 transactional and advisory practice areas across Asia and the Middle East and Africa region.
The In-House Community (IHC) 2021 has awarded Baker McKenzie the “Most Responsive International Firm of the Year” in 11 jurisdictions, including in South Africa. The other jurisdictions were China, Hong Kong, India, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, United Arab Emirates and Vietnam. The Firm was also awarded “Firm of the Year” in 15 practice areas across Asia, United Arab Emirates and South Africa. South Africa won ‘Firm of the Year’ for its Antitrust / Competition, Compliance/Regulatory, and Litigation and Dispute Resolution practices.
Bruce Schubach, Baker McKenzie’s Head of Operations for Africa, said, “Over the challenges of the last year, it has been essential for our clients to have access to cross-border legal experts globally, locally and on the ground in Africa, who have specialist industry knowledge and understanding of the particular commercial challenges of navigating a complex and uncertain investment environment. As such, we are delighted that Baker McKenzie offices in Asia, the Middle East and Africa to be recognised in this way. South Africa’s wins for Firm of the Year in the categories of competition/antitrust, compliance/regulatory and dispute resolution/litigation are a testament to the success of our strategy to strengthen these practices in order to cater to growing client demand in Africa.”
Esteban Raventos, Baker McKenzie’s EMEA Chair, added, “I would like to thank our clients and the wider business community for recognising our teams in South Africa and the United Arab Emirates, and entrusting us to act on their most complex and high-profile matters. We are grateful to In-House Community for these awards, which are testament to the talent of our people, who continue to work relentlessly to deliver high-value services to our clients.”
The survey, conducted by In-house Community, contacted 17,000 in-house counsel and buyers of legal services across Asia, and the Middle East and Africa region to determine the stand-out performers. Respondents were asked to comment on which law firms made the most impression on them over the past year, in terms of responsiveness and their satisfaction with the work done. Firms are then assessed based on these client testimonials, with votes aggregated to select the winning firms in each category across the jurisdictions.
The practice categories in which Baker McKenzie and its member firms were named ‘Firm of the Year’ in the respective jurisdictions include:
· Alternative Investment Funds (including Private Equity) – Hong Kong and Thailand
· Antitrust / Competition – Malaysia (Wong & Partners), Thailand, South Africa and United Arab Emirates
· Banking & Finance – Hong Kong, Thailand and Philippines (Quisumbing Torres)
· Compliance / Regulatory – Hong Kong and South Africa
· Corporate and M&A – Thailand
· Employment – Thailand and Philippines (Quisumbing Torres)
· Energy & Natural Resources – Thailand
· Insurance – Thailand
· Intellectual Property – China (Baker McKenzie FenXun Joint Operation), Malaysia (Wong & Partners) and Philippines (Quisumbing Torres)
· International Arbitration – Philippines (Quisumbing Torres) and United Arab Emirates (Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla)
· Litigation and Dispute Resolution – Hong Kong, Thailand, South Africa and United Arab Emirates (Baker McKenzie Habib Al Mulla)
· Projects and Project Financing – Thailand
· Real Estate/ Construction – Thailand
· Taxation – Thailand
· Telecommunications, Media & Technology – Thailand